It’s pancake day and I am going to share with you the easiest pancake recipe ever, you don’t even need to dust off your scales to make these. All you will need to measure everything with is a mug.
- 1 mug of Plain Flour
- 1 mug of milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla (optional)
- Butter or margarine to grease the pan
- Using your mug, measure out flour and tip into a large jug.
- Add egg and mix in using a fork.
- Measure out milk using the same mug. Slowly add milk to your flour and egg mixture a little at a time, whisking all the time to make sure there are no lumps and you have a smooth batter. (Now I am not going to lie to you, it is rare that I actually manage to have a smooth lump free batter. If you sieve the flour this help, but at this point I will more than likely cheat and get out my trusty hand blender and give my lumpy batter a good blitz for a few seconds. Works a treat, then I quickly wash it up and hide it before anyone notices.)
- I like to add vanilla to mine but it’s no essential.
- Use a small amount of butter to melt in your pan so the pancake doesn’t stick. After about a minute, use a spatula to lift up the side of your pancake and check it is golden brown, then with your best wrist flicking action, flip the pancake over and cook the other side. (or use your spatular if you’re not feeling brave.)
This recipe will make about 6 – 8 thick pancakes. If you like yours to be thinner, add a little more milk. You will be able to feel the batter become lighter and thinner.
You can try anything you like. Traditionally it would be a sprinkle of sugar and squeeze of lemon. My favourite way to enjoy a pancake is to spread on Nutella then roll up into a big tube.
Any fruit works really well and served up with a scoop of ice-cream makes a luxurious dessert. Savoury pancakes are delicious too. Leave out the vanilla, then before you flip your pancake sprinkle over a little grated cheese and fold over one side to make a half circle, let the cheese melt and serve with some ham.
What’s your favourite way to enjoy pancakes?
Just to let you know, The Frugal Emporium’s blogs contain some affiliate links. Buying through these links helps support the upkeep of this blog and website, so go on, have a little peek 🙂